Monday, August 24, 2015

DIY: Deer Head with Glitter Antlers



Gallery walls can be a fun and eclectic way to spruce up a large blank wall. Hanging multiple items instead of one large item, allows you to display all of your favorite things. This is especially great if you're like me and have more pictures, frames, art, etc., than you have walls in your home/apartment! However, I tend to think gallery walls using only framed pictures can be a little boring and one-dimensional. I love when a gallery wall incorporates random knick-knacks and 3D items. While searching for some of these items for our own gallery wall, I found this little paper mache deer head at Hobby Lobby and could not resist taking him home and sprucing him up!



First, I covered him in a layer of white paint (what I actually did first was name him Henry, but that's probably super weird and beside the point of this craft post). The white paint over the paper mache actually gave him the look of a real sculpture which is awesome. Then, I attempted to cover everything but his antlers as best as I could. This was pretty tricky considering his shape and I ended up with just a damp paper towel over his face/body. Once (barely) covered, I used a paintbrush to coat his antlers in glue and sprinkled extra fine gold glitter on top. I did this over a large bowl to collect the excess glitter. It took me a couple coats of glitter before I felt all the spots were filled in and the glitter looked thick enough. Plus, this allowed me to make a HUGE mess and I'm sure James was very excited to come home and find a gold, sparkly apartment! :)


**TIP: Don't use newspaper that displays a large pizza ad during this craft because halfway through you might find yourself hangry, covered in glitter, and wishing you had ordered pizza instead of attempting this mess**



After drying overnight, I used a damp paper towel and a damp, clean paintbrush to remove excess glitter from everywhere except his antlers. This was honestly the trickiest part and I eventually added another thin layer of white paint to the spots where I couldn't remove the glitter. Finally, we added him to our (soon to be finished) gallery wall and hung a blank frame around him. The final look is definitely worth dealing with all that glue and glitter!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig