Monday, July 25, 2016

Summer Reads


One of my favorite things about summer is being able to relax on the beach or by the pool with a good book. I'll admit, I usually go straight for the light, romantic "chick-lit" style of books over the summer, because in my opinion they are the best beach reads. Who wants depressing breakups or unsolved murders ruining their vacation vibes?? Not me! With that being said, I've actually been trying to branch out a bit more when it comes to choosing new books (I mean, there are only so many Nicholas Sparks novels out there anyway), so my current selection of summer reads includes everything from love stories, to thrillers, and even a collection of essays. Heres's what I've read so far:


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: This book is about four friends who spend their summers vacationing with their families on a private island. From the very beginning, I could tell something wasn't right with the main character and I knew there was a larger secret waiting to be discovered. There are so many little twists and lies throughout the book as you learn about each character and their family drama and yet you're still completely shocked at the end when you finally discover the whole truth (at least I was). I could not put this book down and the twist at the end had me in tears! 

Yes Please by Amy Poehler: Amy's writing style in this book is so strong and uniquely her, that I swear I could hear her voice saying every word while I read. If you are a fan of Amy Poehler, this book will not disappoint! Like her, the book is witty, funny, and inspiring. It's refreshing to read about everything she endured before making it big. It's a nice reminder that dreams take work and success doesn't happen overnight. Plus, she includes tons of stories about her time on SNL and Parks & Rec and shares hilarious and touching descriptions of her fellow cast members. So good! 

The One & Only by Emily Giffin: I became a fan of Giffin's when I read her bestseller, Something Borrowed and then the sequel, Something Blue and loved them both. However, I've since read a few other books of hers and haven't been too impressed. Unfortunately, this book didn't do much for me either. I really wanted to like it, because the love story is actually a decent one and it was enjoyable to watch it unfold... EXCEPT that the love story happened to be about a girl falling in love with her best friend's father. She's known her best friend her whole life, so isn't it weird that her friend's dad watched her grow up? Isn't she practically a daughter to him too? Also, she's falling for him right after her best friend's mother (his wife) just passed away from cancer. Do people really move on that quickly? Am I the only one who just can't get behind this plot?? It was too weird for me. ★★

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes: There has been so much buzz about this book (especially with the movie having just come out) that I'm sure you've heard a lot about it already. I'll only describe it by saying the story involves a woman becoming a caretaker for a quadriplegic man. Do yourself a favor and read it to find out the rest. I didn't expect this book to be so moving, but something about it really stuck with me long after reading it. It was so inspiring but also heartbreaking, and I found myself thinking deeply about what it means to really live and what decisions in life are truly yours to make. Ugh! My heart! Just make sure you have your tissues ready! 

The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig: If you've read my other book posts, you'll know how much I love a good historical fiction book. This one takes place in the 1920's and includes all the bobbed haircuts, beaded dresses, and booze you need. The story is about a young woman named Rachel, who returns home to her small town to deal with the death of her mother. While sorting through her mother's things, she finds a newspaper clipping of her father, who was said to have died when she was a child. Rachel discovers from the clipping that her father is in fact alive and is a respected earl with a wife and two other children. Upset and shocked, Rachel decides to create a new identity for herself and sets off looking for her father, answers, and revenge. All the glamour, secrets, and love triangles in this book had me guessing till the very end. ★★

Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt: If you're in need of a book to inspire you, try reading Fish in a Tree. It's about a girl named Ally, who has dyslexia and is struggling in school. To hide her inability to read and avoid embarrassment, Ally often creates clever disruptions in the classroom to distract her teachers from the real problem at hand, even if it gives the mean girls more to tease her about. With the help of new teacher, Ally begins to understand her struggle and finds that having dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of. As her confidence grows, Ally realizes that we all learn in different ways and that's perfectly ok. Maybe it's because I've worked as a reading tutor and have met children with similar struggles, but this book totally stole my heart. I wanted to hug Ally from the very beginning and tell her (much like my students) that she's not dumb just because she's struggling. I also wanted to tell her that just because she's been called stupid many times, it doesn't make it true. I loved that the power of words was discussed in this way. The book touches on so many other important messages too (bullying, different learning styles, family, friendship, self confidence, etc.) that I think it's a powerful and inspiring story for people of all ages. Great minds don't always think alike :) 

I'm currently reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. After that, I have Maestra by L.S. Hilton and Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit on my list. Make sure to add me on the Goodreads app so you can stay up to date with what's on my shelves.

What good books have you read recently? Let me know!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig