Thursday, October 8, 2015

5 Tips for Wedding Dress Shopping


That's right! I've finally found THE ONE! I'm amazed and relieved because I've actually been dress shopping since May and after months of trying on dress after pretty dress, I was beginning to think I would never have the "I JUST KNEW" moment that most brides describe. In reality, 99% of the dresses I tried were beautiful, but none of them gave me the "THIS IS IT" feeling. I wondered if I was being too picky or not picky enough. I questioned if I had started shopping too late. I also began to assume since I'm not the typical TV show bride who brings her mom, sisters, grandmother, great grandmother (via Skype or a rare seance), future mother in law, aunts, best friends, sorority sisters (current and former), wedding planner, and any other female acquaintance to dress appointments with me, then maybe I wouldn't have the dramatic "Say Yes to the Dress" moment. BUT LO AND BEHOLD, it finally happened and it was truly as magical as everyone describes.


So, having just gone through the dress shopping adventure, I thought I would post some of the important things I learned. Keep in mind, there are plenty of other articles and guides out there that might include much more helpful tips for you. Everyone is different! These are just the main things I took away from the experience.

5 Tips for Wedding Dress Shopping
  1. Browse Online Beforehand: Save yourself time by doing some research first. I would recommend starting by browsing all wedding dresses in general (hello, Pinterest!). This allows you to learn wedding dress lingo and styles. Knowing the terminology (A-line, sweetheart neckline, fit and flare, etc.) allows you to better describe the details to your stylist. You don't want to feel clueless if she asks you your preference on chiffon vs. tulle. Also, browsing all dresses helps you begin to narrow down the styles you like. Now, let me say, I'm a HUGE believer in remaining open-minded to different styles. I thought I wanted one thing and ended up loving something else after trying it on. However, if you decide that you would NEVER EVER want long sleeves or a satin dress, then eliminate them. Once you have some ideas in mind, it's helpful to save pictures on your phone and show them to your stylist.
  2. Make Appointments: Making appointments may seem obvious, but some stores will let you browse and even try on without one, especially if they aren't busy. I stopped into a store after work one day and was allowed to try on dresses without an appointment. However, trying to find and try on dresses without the help of a knowledgeable associate is a big waste of time. Trust me. You'll want someone to help you find certain styles, pull dresses in your price range, point out dresses you may have overlooked, inform you of the ways a certain dress can be altered, display the color options, pin and clip dresses to show you a better fit, suggest accessories... the list goes on and on. Making an appointment guarantees you'll receive this one on one help and it is worth it.
  3. Take Pictures (if it's allowed): Taking pictures of myself in each dress was by far the most helpful thing I did while shopping. It's easy to get caught up in the moment when you have on a beautiful wedding dress! Every dress I tried was so beautiful that I often overlooked little details. After each appointment I gave myself time to think and look back through all the pictures. Thank goodness I did! It helped me notice little things I missed and realize the dress wasn't quite as perfect as I thought the first time. If you're not wow'd again when you look back at pictures, it isn't the dress for you! Keep in mind, some places don't allow photos of the dresses, so always ask first.
  4. Try Accessories: It's important to consider accessories when trying dresses because they can make or break the entire look! For example, I found a dress that was beautiful except for a giant, ugly belt. I mentioned it to my stylist and she showed me several different belt options that changed the look completely. I found another dress with the most flattering fit, but it was very plain otherwise. My stylist showed me all the ways I could dress it up (pun intended) with different veils, lace tops, and boleros. On the other hand, you can rule out dresses based on how well they will work with specific accessories you already have planned. 
  5. Choose the One You Love: It really is that simple. At some point you are going to step into a dress that makes you feel amazing, beautiful, and happy. That will be THE ONE. It doesn't matter if it isn't what's trendy. It doesn't matter if it's completely different from what you set out looking for. It doesn't matter if it's not your mom's first choice or your best friend's favorite. It doesn't even matter if the style doesn't match your wedding "theme". Nobody will be thinking about these things as you're walking down the aisle and you're going to look beautiful no matter what. So choose the dress that makes you happy. You'll know when you find it!

Á
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig