Sunday, January 12, 2020

A Look Back at 2019


I can't believe it's 2020 and I haven't updated the blog in over a year! Instead of citing this as another example of my fickle attitude when it comes to blogging, I feel like we can say it's actually an example of the seasons of life. They're constantly changing, some more busy than others, with different priorities at different times. That sounds fancier, right? Since my last post, my life has changed in SO many ways and I guess in the midst of it all, keeping up with blog posts just wasn't at the top of my list. But recently, my interest has returned so here I am, back again! I thought I'd start with a quick post to catch up on all the exciting moments that have happened in the last year. If we're getting technical, this picture was actually taken during our trip to England in October 2018, buuut seeing as I haven't blogged since then, I figured I'd include it anyway. 


We took a trip to the mountains! For James's 30th birthday, we rented the cutest cabin in Ellijay, Georgia for a weekend getaway. The best part was that it was dog-friendly so Boone was able to come and enjoy all the fun with us. The cabin had a beautiful mountain view and all the best amenities, including a fire pit, board games, pool table, and hot tub, which all came in handy since the weather ended up being cold and rainy. We actually only went on one real hike, to see the waterfall at Falls Brach Falls, because we spent the rest of the trip enjoying the cabin and woods surrounding it. I booked it through Morning Breeze Cabin Rentals, and they were awesome. They had tons of great cabin options of all sizes and decent prices compared to other sites. Plus our cabin was super clean and cozy. I definitely recommend using them if you're interested in booking a similar vacation. We can't wait to go back.


I completed my clinical fellowship and I'm now a fully licensed and certified Speech Language Pathologist! I was also offered a job at the elementary school I worked at prior to taking time off for grad school. It's such an amazing school and I'm so happy to be back and working with all my favorite teachers and students again. Feels like home!


Unfortunately, the worst part of our year was having to say goodbye to our cat, Bella. Shortly after celebrating her 9th birthday, we noticed she was having trouble breathing and eating. Then, we discovered a large mass on the side of her neck. After several trips to the vet and various tests, they told us it was an aggressive form of cancer, and we had to make the hardest decision we've ever made by deciding to put her down. Our vet was kind enough to come to our house, so Bella could be comfortable in her own home with us by her side when it happened, but even still it was incredibly hard for us and I'm tearing up while typing this. I know it was the right decision, but it's heartbreaking to think back on and we miss her every day. 


We took a trip to Austin, TX! We stayed at the Archer Hotel (which was stunning and in a great location... I'd highly recommend it!) and spent the weekend eating, drinking, and exploring the city. I love how artsy and hip the city is and we really enjoyed driving around town checking out all the cool murals and shopping in fun, vintage stores. We also had some awesome meals while we were there, especially the bbq at the famous Terry Black's BBQ, breakfast biscuits at Bird Bird Biscuit, and coffee at Jo's


While in Austin, we took a quick day-trip to Waco and visited the Silos for Silobration! As a huge fan of Fixer Upper & the Magnolia brand, I was a little worried that in person the Silos wouldn't live up to the hype. Thankfully, I was wrong. Yes, it was PACKED with people and we waited in Disney-like lines, but I was shocked how happy, polite, and understanding everyone was. Each person we met from the servers in their restaurant, to employees in their store (even security guards and greeters) was beyond friendly and seemed to genuinely care about making the experience a great one. And although lines for everything were incredibly long, they clearly have a good system in place because it all moved very quickly. No grumpy, impatient visitors in sight! It just seemed like a beautiful, pleasant place to shop and hang out on the lawn with family and friends. We were really impressed. 


We adopted a kitten! After losing Bella, we felt a huge hole in our hearts and could tell that Boone was missing her too (he was moping around the house and kept looking for her in all her favorite spots). We didn't feel right getting another cat just yet, but I told James it wouldn't hurt to check the humane society website every now and then and to wait until we felt like we found the "one". I had no clue it would happen so soon, but the second I saw Remy, I knew. She's been the best addition to our family and has helped heal all of our hearts, especially Boone's. He LOVES her. If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen my stories and know they play together all day long and are clearly the best of friends. It makes my heart very happy. 


You probably already spotted our biggest news in some of the pictures above but... surprise! We're expecting our first child! We found out on our anniversary in May and could not be more excited to welcome a baby boy into our family... very very soon. In fact, as I write this, my due date is only 3 days away and we're anxiously awaiting any signs of his arrival. Hurry up, little man!

I have a feeling 2020 is going to be our best year yet!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig