Sunday, January 28, 2018

Best of Beauty: 2017


We're already about a month into the new year, and I've been thinking a lot about all the new products I tested and tried in 2017. While I have some long-time favorites that I continue to re-purchase again and again, I'm always on the hunt for the next best thing when it comes to beauty products. Since I'm picky about what I choose to splurge on (especially without knowing if I'll even like it!), I typically trial new products by purchasing travel sizes, cashing in my Sephora points for a sample size, or even just buying a knock-off drugstore version for a cheaper price. And again, since I'm picky, it takes a lot to WOW me. So most of the time, I'm not super impressed by the hottest new beauty product (I'm thinking I should do a post about what popular items I wouldn't purchase again?), but every now and then I do find some winners! Today I'm sharing five of the best beauty products I tried in 2017, that I definitely plan to purchase again and again.



1. Matrix Miracle Creator, $17: I'm going to be honest and tell you that up until now, I've been really bad about taking good care of my hair. I buy nice shampoos and conditioners, but aside from that I don't use any other products when styling my hair. Which means, although I blow-dry, straighten, and/or curl my hair just about every day, I haven't been using anything to protect it. Terrible! I know! There are so many great products for every hair concern, that I wouldn't even know where to begin and it honestly just seems too overwhelming and time consuming. Enter in, this bad boy. A stylist used it on me once, and I was sold. It really is a miracle. It claims to have 20 different benefits in one, which is perfect for a lazy hair-care girl like myself. You can read about them all via the link, but I mainly love how well it detangles my crazy hair, protects from heat damage, boosts shine, AND smells amaaaaazing. 


2. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water, $7: I'm not actually sure if I began using this in 2016 or 2017 but whatever, it's awesome, so I'm adding it to the list. I remember purchasing it after running out of one of my favorite eye-makeup removers, because it was new and highly talked about by other beauty bloggers. I gave it a try and now I'm in love. It's gentle, but works so well that I'm actually kind of disturbed. I thought I was removing all of my makeup with just a cleanser before, but not after seeing what this does! It gets everything and leaves my face feeling clean and refreshed. I keep the regular size in my bathroom but highly recommend the mini size for traveling and keeping in your gym bag, too. 


3. Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer, $9: It's kind of a cruel joke that I'm a Florida native with such fair skin that also tends to burn easily. Beach days for me include endless applications of SPF 30 or higher and I'm forever blaming my English/Irish blood. Thanks a lot, ancestors. Anyway, I've tried Jergens Natural Glow lotions in the past, and while they do work really well at giving me a subtle/natural-looking tan, I can't say that I'm a big fan. I feel like they always leave a weird smell (despite advertising the "newer, better" scent) and honestly, I'm just not big on lotions in general. I don't like the thick, heavy feel they leave on your skin. Luckily for me, Jergens now makes an in-shower version! You apply it to wet skin as you're getting out of the shower, which feels much more natural to me. It dries quickly and doesn't leave a thick layer on my skin. It actually doesn't feel like anything at all, which I love. And it works! It gives me a subtle glow without leaving any color on my towels or clothes. 


4. Tarte Drink of H20 Moisturizer, $39: So in general, the way I feel about body moisturizers is the same way I feel about face moisturizers. During the winter months, I might opt for something slightly thicker to combat my extra dry skin, but typically I stay away from anything too heavy. This is especially true during the summer (here in Florida, it's about 9 months out of the year). If you're like me and you want something light but still super refreshing, I highly recommend Tarte's Drink of H20 Moisturizer. It's a gel moisturizer, rather than a lotion, so it's much lighter on your skin. To me, it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all. It has a lovely cooling sensation when you apply (SO nice when it's hot outside) and absorbs quickly, without feeling thick or greasy. It's so light that I think many people question how well it's really moisturizing, but with the hyaluronic acid in it, you can guarantee your skin is getting all the hydration it needs. 



5. Bare Minerals Moxie Plumping Lip Gloss, $18: I went through a phase a few years ago where I swore only by lipstick and did not use any sort of lip gloss, whatsoever. I think matte colors were SO popular for a minute there that we all refused to be seen with any trace shine on our lips. Well, in 2017 that changed. Thank goodness! I've used several different brands recently and they've actually all been great. But if I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be from Bare Minerals. I was surprised by how much I love their lip glosses, since I've only ever known Bare Minerals for being amazing at foundation and powders. But, the colors are all so pretty and flattering, with a nice subtle sparkle to them. Plus, many of them have both moisturizing (drink every time I've said that in this post!) and plumping features, which make my lips look and feel amazing. Right now, I'm loving the shades Temptress and Live Wire. 

What were your favorite beauty products in 2017? Have you tried any of these? Let me know! :) 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig