Sunday, September 4, 2016

Life Lately


To be honest, I kind of have a love/hate relationship with blogging. I love having a place of my own to share decor ideas, beauty products, and generally just all of my favorite things. I also love the blogging community. I love meeting fellow bloggers and I'm always inspired when scrolling through all of your lovely posts. However, blogging takes A LOT of time and energy. I can't tell you how often I feel like I have great content for the blog (whether it's a fun outfit I threw together before a night out, or a simple recipe that turned out amazing, or even just a great experience we've had while trying a new place in town), but I didn't take any pictures. I never think to grab my camera in the middle of cooking dinner or to pause for an outfit shoot before going out. It's just never on my mind. On one hand, I'm happy I don't think to stop and document these things, because it means that I'm mentally present in the moment. Living in and enjoying the moment has been very important to me since Day 1 of creating this blog. I didn't want to become that person who can't go anywhere or do anything without making a big fuss over getting pictures for a blog post. It interferes with simply enjoying the experience and the company of loved ones. But on the other hand, isn't it kind of your job to document these moments for your blog? If you want to blog about it, you have to take pictures of it. It is what it is. So while I might be living in the moment and feeling good about the cute outfit I wore out or the delicious dinner we ate, it's frustrating to also feel like I'm constantly missing the opportunity to share it with you all.


Basically, the blogging struggle is real. But it's something I'm going to try and work on, to hopefully have lots of new posts for you soon!

I've also gained quite a bit of new followers in the past few days (Hello! You guys are fabulous!!), so I wanted to take a minute to share a little bit about me and what I've been up to lately, aside from slacking on blog posts! :)


New Hair Love: Since the wedding, I've had that little itch to do something really different with my hair and last week it happened. I had several inches chopped off and some beautiful balayage done, all thanks to the amazing ladies at Frangipani Salon here in Jax. I love keeping it wavy and messy and I'm so happy to have a whole new look! Seriously, anyone thinking about doing the LOB look should go for it. Hair grows back, so take the risk!


Hello, Grad School: The biggest thing in my life right now... is starting grad school! Classes for my Masters in Speech and Language Pathology began on Monday and I'm equal parts excited and terrified! It's something I've been working towards for a while and I can't believe it's finally here. Everyone in the program is amazing and I already feel so lucky knowing I'll have such great people by my side for the next two crazy, stressful years! #SLP2B 



Home Updates: I've yet to do a full blog post on our new apartment furniture and decor, but it's because we are still adding and changing things. Home decorating is the real never-ending story! What I'm really loving, is the vintage door we hung over the couch (from Hobby Lobby). It works perfectly to fill the empty space on such a large wall and I love that it's something a little different from your typical wall art. Also, we got the best farmhouse style table (Target) for our kitchen nook and found the prettiest chairs (Wayfair) to go with it. I love the cream color with the wood and it's so nice having a formal place to sit and eat. Hooray for stay-in date nights.




Eating Better (or at least trying): I may forget to grab my Canon and take nice, step by step pictures of all the new things we have been cooking up in the kitchen, but luckily, I do manage to snap some pictures on my phone every now and then! I won't say we have been trying to "diet" lately, but we've been trying to eat more balanced meals. By cooking healthier meals during week, we don't feel as guilty when we do go out on the weekend and order a giant burger with fries instead of a salad. I'm young, I'm not obese, and I'm not a dangerously unhealthy eater. So why stress and count every calorie for every meal? Life is short! Sometimes you want (and deserve) to enjoy buffalo wings and pizza! So I've been feeling a lot better by focusing more on balancing meals and just making sure to eat several healthy meals for every unhealthy one. If that makes any sense...


Wicked Barley is Wicked Fun: I maybe shouldn't have put the brewery topic right after the trying eating healthy topic, right? Oh well! It's called BALANCE, people. Anyway, Wicked Barley is a new brewery in Jax and last week I finally had a chance to check it out with some friends. Once you make it past the limited parking (think Mario Kart) and eventually get a spot, the place is awesome! They have tons of great beer and the food looked delicious. What I love most is the space itself. They have tons of tables and bar seating inside, a covered deck outside, picnic tables with umbrellas on the lawn, a sandy area on the water with beach chairs, and a dock you can walk along and enjoy the river view. They also have cornhole, kayaks, and lights strung everywhere, making it really pretty at night. Overall, it seems like a great place for sitting outside and enjoying a drink, especially once the weather gets cooler. 


Labor Day Dessert: Need a fun treat for your Labor Day BBQ? Try this tasty flag cake! I love making this festive cake (usually for the 4th of July) because it's so easy and always a big hit. You can use any kind of cake mix and frosting you want, which is the best part. Last time I made it, I used Funfetti cake mix and Cool Whip instead of frosting. I tend to prefer Cool Whip over the summer, because it's light and fluffy (but make sure to store it somewhere cool so it doesn't melt). After icing, top with strawberries and blueberries to resemble the American flag. If you want, you can mix it up and use other fruit like raspberries or even white chocolate chips in between the red stripes. How fun is that? Happy Labor Day!

So that's a little peek into my life lately! Hope everyone else is doing great :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Everyday Aesthetic. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig